Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Riding Through the City

I've started riding my bike to work at Flat Top when it's nice enough...going down the RiverGreenway only takes about nine miles each way at around 50-55 minutes. I thought it would be crazy to do it once, let alone 2-3 times a week, but it's been SOOOOO good for me. Some bonuses so far:

1. I get up earlier and actually FEEL AWAKE. Crazy.
2. I see the city I live in and recognize the smaller details, like how Runnion has the worst sidewalks ever and there are sweet murals near Headwaters.
3. Going downhill on a bike path surrounded by trees and a good breeze heals the soul. And going uphill kills it. So life balances out.
4. People wave to each other - just for the heck of it - when walking or riding past each other. Some people honk and yell things like, "Get it selhalm..." (their voices faded off as the car drove by...REALLY want to know what "selhalm" was supposed to be), which is annoying, but tolerable.
5. My thoughts are more outward focused instead of inward and narrow. It's hard to explain, but I don't feel as closed up inside when I've been outdoors more. As if I can see the world through my actual eyes instead of feeling the onslaught of stagnant, muddy thoughts.
6. I appreciate distance more.

So I'm pretty happy with this new transportation. It makes me feel more one with the landscape...even when that landscape smells like eggs near St. Mary's River.

2 comments:

  1. So fun! Hope you don't mind I'm reading your blog, or that I'm commenting! :) Sounds like bike riding is doing you good! I wish there were sidewalks from my apt to school, That would be so fun to do! I love being outside and definitely makes me feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't mind at all! That's the point of blogging, to have people read it! Yeah, more sidewalks are always a good idea. Most of my ride is bike trails or sidewalks, except the last half mile or so.

    ReplyDelete