Saturday, June 23, 2012

Nothing Important

As the title suggests, nothing super important here. But there was a funny moment on Thursday, riding to work. There's this guy who seems to be sitting shirtless with headphones at the same bench along the St. Mary's bike trail. It was probably the first time I really noticed he always sits there at that time and I was like, "Oh, duh, he's probably waiting for a bus" and then I go, "Yes, Heather, that's what's happening...he's sitting along a bike path where there are no roads, let alone buses, waiting for the mythical Knight Bus to arrive..." That said, it was a rough bike ride Thursday. I hadn't ridden since the Friday before and thought it would be wise to eat a frozen burrito (at least it was an organic one) before the ride to work. My stomach had already been grumbling over the slabs of pizza and cheesy bread I'd crammed in it Wed. night, so the burrito and pizza slabs were having fisticuffs. The ride home was fine, though.

I actually worked six days in a row this week at the Grill. Craziness. Have to say, I'm glad to be off until Monday. I'm having that dream again where I have dozens of tables and no clue what they ordered or how to check them out. It didn't help that my aunt came in the dream with her kids and made me solve a MASH game to determine my tip. When you have to leap up flights of auditorium stands to get to tables that, for some reason, are located there, solving a MASH puzzle is quite stressful.

And most of our trip is planned - we just have two more hostels to book and one train. One week to go! It's going to be weird coming back after all this, looking at planning out fall classes instead of fun trip funtimes. I'm glad I'm still teaching and that I actually have a full section of classes, but I think I'm getting to the point where I either need to teach creative writing or literature, or find something else where I can write myself. The composition classes really are fine and have merit in their own ways, but don't hold much "oomph" for me. The other classes, though, I feel a desire not just to try harder, but to actually have fun with it. I can't say I had a lot of fun activities for the literature class last spring, but as it was my first one, I mostly just looked at getting the basics across. For next spring, I should be teaching the same literature class, and could try some more creative projects, like creating alternate endings to stories or giving character profiles. That would be cool, I think.

What to do the rest of the day? Husband and I might ride to Coldstone for some cold stones....hahahaha, so funny. There's also packing to do and miscellaneous stuff before we take off next week. If anyone wants to come over tonight for Abraham Lincoln Vs. Zombies...nevermind, just check it out and it's Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer that I want to see...the other one looks like a non-Tim Burton piece of crap someone decided to sell on Red Box. So...Iron Lady anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment